|Port||Hurghada or Sharm El Sheihk|
|Travel distance||approx 200km|
|Difficulty||partial deep & drift dives|
Gubal Island (Rosalie Moller, Ulysses), Thistlegorm, Dunraven,
Abu Nuhas (Kimon, Chrisoula, Carnatic, Ghiannis), Jasmine, Carina, Kingston
Gubal Islands - Street of Gubal
Like the Siyul Islands there are also at the islands of Gubal "Gubal Kebira" the big and the little "Gubal Soraya". The islands are separated by a narrow strip of coral sand that is constantly depending to be larger or smaller on the tides. The southern entrance of the Gulf of Suez has been named after these islands. On the small island is therefore an automatic beacon. This place is known by the divers as Bluff Point. A hull of about 20m long is to find there, the remains of an Egyptian gunboat that sank during the Six-Day War 197. Another enhancement to dive the wreck of the Ulysses and the Rosalie Moller
Wreck Rosalie Moller
The British cargo ship was sunk on 08.10.1941 only two days after the destruction of the Thistlegorm, also of German bombers. Rosalie was only loaded to supply coal to the coal station in North Africa. The wreck is in excellent condition. Still clearly can be seen, where the bomb hit on the starboard side at hold 3. She is 108m long and lies upright on the ground. For identification is clearly to see the big "M" on the chimney. The top of the mast reaches up to 17m, while the remainder is between 30 and 50m. Dives here should be performed only by experienced divers, due to the depth, the current and visibility. In general, the wreck can be approached only in good weather.
On the north side, 100m from the beacon lays the wreck of the British cargo that sank 1887th .The Ulysses was after several incidents as a doomed ship. She was already dived by Hans Hass in the 50's, however, identified only toward end of 1990. Already in 2m depth are placed the first wreckage of the completely shattered bugs. Along the entire reef slope are Wreckage drawn down and at a depth of 30m is the stern with the ancient propeller to find. As the wooden decks are long gone, the wreck can be dived from the inside and you can see the remains of the steam engine.
In the sandy seabed close to of the reef Shaab Ali is at a depth of 27m, the wreck of the British armed cargo named Thistlegorm to find. On 06.10.1941 it was sunk by German fighter bombers. An explosion in the tail was stowed in the ammunition, the decisive hit. The supply of weapons was intended for the Eighth Army to fight against Rommel. The wreck was first discovered back in 1956 on an expedition with the boat Calypso from Cousteau. The structure of the wreck reaches up to 12m depth, which facilitates the ascent of the divers. In spite of corrosion and sediments can be found on the main deck, four railroad cars, two locomotives, two torpedoes and three hold of some material such as boots and much more. Cars, trucks are still on the loading surfaces, BSA and Norton motorcycles. Scattered around the wreck you can still find weapons and ammunition boxes. On the aft deck the anti-aircraft gun is still aimed into the seabed. The crew quarters can be detected in this area.
The Dunraven is located about 70m away from the outside reef Beacon Reef. The steamboat was constructed 1870 in Newcastle. In April 1876 the boat runs on the reef where the starboard side and three places were ripped open. After a fire had broken out on board, she fell and rolled over it. The wreck was discovered in 1978 by Israeli divers. At a maximum depth of 27m starting at the stern, you can still find the huge propeller and rudder; both are covered with leather corals. The keel is still intact and covered with corals. In the inner, middle part of the hull you can see the large steam boilers. Columnar light games are to see in the dark hull penetrate through small holes. Floating along the hull towards the bow can be seen into 16m depth the rings that held the missing bowsprit. The anchor is located far away from the reef; the chain is still in the anchor pocket. The two masts and various parts of the ceiling structures are scattered in open water on the seabed.
At the exit of the Gulf of Suez is the large reef Abu Nuhas. The meaning of the name is made up of Abu-father and Nuhas -copper or bronze. You can still see the copper plates on land, which are probably the remains of not less than seven sunken cargo ships. The most famous wrecks are the Carnatic, Ghiannis, Kimon and ChrisoulaK
In the year 1862 the magnificent steamboat Carnatic was put into service. It is 90m long, a two master and a coal-fired steam engine. The transport ship i.e. Wine, soda water that was filled into special transparent, opalescent glass bottle with oval base. In the night of 13.09.1869 the boat ran on the reef Abu Nuhas. The bottom side of the bow is at about 16m and the stern at about 24m. The upright structure deck looks like a forest of columns that is facing towards the open water. The keel which is protected of the reef is still intact. The most impressive parts are the stern and the windows on the portside. At the bow you can still find the gigantic anchor pocket and the carriers of the missing bow priests. In the holds are still a number of bottles scattered around.
Wreck Ghiannis D.
The wreck of the large modern cargo is about 60m away from the "Carnatic". By corrosion today can be read at the giant bug "Markos" again (probably the original name of the wreck). A huge D (from Danae Shipping Company) can still be seen on the chimney, whereby the wreck also likes to get the name Dana by divers. There are many names for this boat. After the cargo struck with the bow on the reef were six weeks no rescue efforts. By the force of the waves the hull was shattered into three pieces. The stern and the bow area remained intact, where in the middle part only a wild mess of steel Patten, cables and pipes to find is. In the stern where can penetrate into the Wreck, the ship bridge, living quarters and engine room can be visited.
The wreck is a motor cargo from Hamburg with a length of 107m and 15m width. It was loaded with 4,500 tons of lentils, as it stranded on 12/12/1978 where later on it brocks and sunk. The wreck lies on its starboard side, where the front ship is severely damaged. Very well preserved are the stern, engine room and cargo holds. The wreck can be dived only at very good weather conditions.
Wreck Chrisoula K
The wreck is also under the nickname of 'tile wreck' known. On 08/30/1981 only 30 years ago the Greek vessel sank. The ship was loaded with floor tiles, which are spread still to this day on the seabed at a depth of 30m. Very early in the morning under the stern rudder sometimes a white tip reef shark is found sleeping. There are narrow entry and exit points in the engine room, however, should not be ignored by entering, that the wreck has a very unstable situation.
Wreck KINGSTON oder SARAH H.
Already in 1881 sank the Kingston, but it is still in good condition. There is always some confusion with the name of the wreck. Originally from Kingston, was discovered the ship into the late 90's by the dive leader Sarah Hillel, hence the second name. The ship was one of the first steam vessels were heated with coal. The keel is upright on the sandy bottom. Very well preserved and impressive are the stern with the big propeller, midship and spare propeller. The wreck is covered by beautiful corals of any kind.
Wreck am Shark Riff Jolanda
A cargo with 1153 tons, a length of 75m and 11m width. The cargo consisted of containers with sanitary ware, pipes and whiskey. Because of a navigational error the ship ran into the night of 1st to the 2nd April 1980 at the Shark Reef. The ship itself is for recreational divers with an approximate depth of 145 - 170m no longer reachable. A part of the superstructure, including the mast, and the remains of the container along with the contents are still at the original place at about 20-25m. A dive here is therefore not bad, still viewed along the reef the grinding of the cargo ship and between the corals a wide range of toilet bowls and bathtubs.